Monday 28 January 2008

Gary Wiggins

My first message is a very sad one, cause my good friend Gary Wiggins died last friday, 25th of January in a hospital in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.
This man that i met the first time at the Ghent 6 back in the early 80's became one of my best friends ever. He was the reason for my neverending interest in the wonderfull country of Australia. He talked me in to it. He made me going on holiday to Melbourne in 1985. Since then i would go back as much as i can. He introduced me into the cycling world. He "dropped" the first Aussies at my house to stay for a few days. (they ended staying the season, lol).
I went to several races with Gary, in Belgium, Holland, England, Germany. We had great times drinking a few beers now and then.
But on top of that he was a great rider. He won the Bremen 6, he was European Madison champion, he won stages in the Griffin tour and he won Belgian kermesses.
Unfortunatly he had also bad luck, specially last thursday when somebody bashed him on the head, or hit him with a car. Police still try to figure out what really happened.
He was also proud of his son, Bradley.
We saw eachother last a few years ago. Gary, we will miss you!

No comments: