Tuesday 19 February 2008

David MC FARLANE


I remember when i met Macca for the first time. It was after he finished the Giro d'Italia in 1984. I went for a beer with Gary Wiggins in Ghent. In the "Waterhuis aan de bierkant", THE place to be in that time we found Macca sitting at the bar with Leon and Lois Watchorn. David was, compared to Gary, a very shy guy. Later i found out that he was just a calm man and not that shy at all. He stayed in Belgium for the rest of the season.
In 1985, when i went to Australia for the first time (a 4 weeks holiday trip) David picked me up at the airport. Silly me, after a few km's on the road, asked how it came i hadn't seen a roo yet.
So Macca took me to Melbourne Zoo for a 3 hour walk around the park. I just had a 30 hours journey from Belgium behind me.
I finally arrived in Leongatha where his mum and dad welcomed me. The very next morning, my first Australian breacky! Toast (we knew that too in Belgium) and waaaaaa they have Nutella too. What a mistake!!! i putted 2 inches of Nutella on my toast, had a bite, first didn't know what happened, second everybody laughing their heads off, finally i spitted out my toast! They we're trying to poison me. I took the jug: VEGEMITE !!! I must admit that since that trip i still eat that stuff in Belgium.
the rider:
In 1975 David became U16 state champion and won the silver medal at the Australion U16 road championship. As an amateur he was two times Victorian road champion. David came to Europe a few times to ride the "kermesses" and criteriums. Twice he made the Australian selection for the Worlds (86-Colorado Springs (road and track) and 87-Villach (road)).
Abroad he won the Tour of Tahiti.
In Australia he won severall races on the road including 9 times the Gippsland 3 day Tour, stages in the Sun Tour (3) and Griffin Tour (2). Macca started 11 times in the Sun Tour and finished all af them!
The Australian Roadtitle in 1992 was his most prestigious win. He beated Gavin Parsonage and Tim Jamieson for the gold medal in Warrnambool.
On the track he won the Victorian 50 km pointstitle and only Gary Sutton could beat him for the gold medal at the Australian pointsrace championship in 1986.
Today David still rides mountainbike races. He recently finished the 100km Otway Odyssey. David and his wife Maree got two sportif sons.
And yes they ride a bike, Jordan and Thomas Mc Farlane, names for the future??
All pics still available, just e-mail: thealice40@hotmail.com

No comments: